BEFORE YOUR TATTOO:
- Moisturise the area to be tattooed twice a day for one week leading up to yor appointment. However, please do not moisturise on the day of your appointment as this may affect the process.
- Keep your body hydrated, drink 1-2 liters of water in the days coming up to your tattoo date. When your skin is hydrated it is better able to withstand longer sessions and your healing will also be improved.
- Shave and exfoliate the area 1-3 times per week prior to your appointment, this will be of major benefit if the area to be tattooed is very hairy. If you experience razor burn stop shaving a week before your appointment as we cannot tattoo over damaged skin. If you choose to wax do not wax for 3 days leading up to your tattoo.
- If you are fortunate enough to experience sunny weather before your tattoo please be sensible and keep the area out of the sun as we are unable to tattoo sun burned skin. Remember the sun is the enemy of the tattoo, always protect your ink for the harmful UV rays of the sun.
- Have a good nights sleep beforehand, arriving rested and relaxed helps you get in the zone for your session.
- Eat a decent meal before your tattoo, we do not mind if you bring food into the studio. Your body needs this fuel, so plan ahead and bring snacks with you that you can access while being tattooed. If you are hungry you won’t last as long during a big session.
- Feel free to bring some home comforts with you, this is of particular importance if your session is three hours or longer. You can bring ipod, books, drinks, snacks, pillow, sarong (this is quite useful for ladies having hips or rib area tattooed as it can be tied in a multiple of ways to conserve your modesty).
- Dress comfortably, wear layers which you can remove or add to, as you will alternate between feeling hot and cold.
- We want you to feel as comfortable as possible during your tattoo so you may bring a friend, but please bear in mind we are trying to work and to give you best tattoo we can. So please no photography, video recording and please have some consideration for your tattooist, they are concentrating hard on the job they are doing and they need space to work.
- Take the cover off your tattoo 3 hours after the first wrapping.
- Now wash it with a liquid soap (you can purchase soap suitable to be used on a fresh tattoo in the studio), foam the soap into a lather and use this to gently work off any excess tattoo pigment and dried blood that may be sitting on the skin.
- Rinse off all soap with lukewarm water until your are satisfied the surface is clean.
- Let the skin air dry for around 15 minutes to allow the pores to close, now you can apply the tattoo cream we recommend using a little and often approach. You want to have a nice shine on the tattoo from the cream. Use the cream 4-5 times each day, washing it before each time as described above.
- We offer a free touch up on your tattoo within three months from the date you had it, this is on the condition you have used the aftercare we recommended and the aftercare lotion we advised. WE WILL NOT DO A FREE TOUCH UP IF YOU USE A CREAM OTHER THAN THE ONE WE RECOMMEND.
- No baths, swimming or immersing your tattoo in a body of water for three weeks after having your tattoo. Showers are fine once the water is not too hot or the pressure too high.
- After a few days your tattoo will develop a layer of dead skin and ink on top, as this tightens this can become quite itchy. DO NOT SCRATCH, this will pull out parts of your tattoo and may introduce an infection. Later this layer will peel – this is normal, your tattoo is not falling off!
- Keep using the recommended cream for at least one week after the tattoo has finished the peel.
- Congratulations your tattoo is now healed, now for lifelong manintenance. Keep if out of the sun FOREVER if you do not want it to fade, always, always have a high factor sun lotion on you tattoo. If you look after your skin by using a good quality moisturiser (yes that means the men too!) your tattoo will stay more vibrant.